Wednesday, October 1, 2008

So much better ~

What is it about fabric?? It softens all the hard lines in a room, even if it's simple drop cloth fabric! I used three different settings on my camera to give you an idea of what they look like but I'll get one tomorrow in the daylight ~ I tried to do one too many things today and waited too late in the day to start hanging these.

I forgot where I bought this but believe it or not, this is only one drop cloth. It was Lowes or Home Depot but I bought the largest size they had. I had planned on making slipcovers for my living room furniture with it but it never happened and we eventually bought a new sofa and loveseat.

To make these, I measured in a certain distance from the left side and ripped the fabric from top to bottom!! Then I measured in the same distance from the right side and did the same. Then the fabric that was left in the center, I measured down from the top enough inches for a long valance adding on enough for the top ruffle and the rod pocket then ripped the bottom part off of that piece! I folded over the top of all pieces enough to have about an inch and half ruffle then an inch and a half rod pocket. No folding under any raw edges.

Cool, huh? Ripped hems, ripped sides, washed with fabric softener and dried, pressed a bit...perfect curtains ready to hang. Plus I used no rods, just nails and heavy gauge black wire, fed through the rod pocket then twisted on a nail on each side above the window. I love the slight swag this gives them across the top from nail to nail.

So, that's how I did it!! I'm working on a few things in the kitchen so won't show that just yet. I did paint the hutch I posted yesterday. I found the top and the bottom in a used furniture store a few years ago, one was in the front of the store and the other was in the back but I married them and they look like they were made for one another!

Thank you so much for your sweet words about the living room and dining room, it's humble but we do love our home ~



And for you Sherry, the cloche and bird figurines inside!!

A few images for you to use ~ look at this beautiful sheet music cover!!! Click to enlarge then right click and save as to your computer.



And aren't these babies the most precious little sweeties ever??!! Viv of VivLyn Designs bought a few pieces of art from me and sent me these as a gift! You know me well Viv ~ babies and birds, I do love them so...Thank you so very much, I just love these! Please feel free to use these images in your artwork as well.....





Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to drop by and see me!! I appreciate each and every visit and comment ~ I'm constantly amazed at how many friends I've made here in this land of blog. I'm so very thankful for each and every one too!


Wishing you a very happy Wednesday!
xxoo, Dawn

25 comments:

debi said...

Dawn,
I really enjoy your blog...love the canvas drapes...very pretty and clever!
Thanks for all of the wonderful images you share with us. Much appreciated!
Have a great day!
Debi

the author said...

Lovely drapes!

Dorthe said...

Oh Dawn, its realy so beautifull looking, with the drapes, i love the cosyness it gives here in autum, and winter.And your room looks fantastic -it always make me feel good,every morning seeing you on blogland.
Sweet hugs from Dorthe

Willnnabel said...

Love it so soft and pretty. Just a couple questions, is the fabric heavy? Because how did you manage to wash so much of it. Would I be correct in assuming you just sewed the top? The sides and bottoms are raw ripped edges. Anyway they look great.

The Charm House said...

Dawn, Where in the world do you find the time to do everything that you do? And you live in Georgia? Where 'bouts? I am in Georgia also, Monroe, Half way between Atlanta and Athens on Hwy. 78. I love the drapes and the room! Beautiful room! I love a big eat-in kitchen! I MISS mine! I traded my big kitchen for a small one once the kids left!

The Cinnamon Stick said...

SIMPLY AMAZING!!! You boggle my mind with all that you do...and how beautiful everything turns out. JUST AMAZING!! XOXO, Judy

Vanessa {Bloom Right Here!} said...

Your windows look great! I've thought about buying some dropcloth and using it on my porch. We have a huge porch and I think it would be fun to make curtains to divide off a "room".

I posted my little pincushion on my blog last night with a link back to you!

Vee said...

Every now and then your page takes a long time to load for me... I was here earlier and couldn't leave a comment. I know...horrors!

What a wonderful idea you had with this one. I really like what you've done and how it does soften the room. I may have to give it a try especially if I can do it as easily as you have done. I hate the hardware associated with curtains.

Unknown said...

Your drapes are lovely! Thanks for the images!

Betty said...

Your dining area is so lovely. When you said 'drop cloth drapes' I couldn't begin to get a picture in my mind. Wow, they look great! Who would have thought! You are so talented and I enjoy reading about all your endeavors.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Drop cloths are so handy to use and yours turned out beautiful. I've had trouble with buying them only to find that they are seamed together sometimes. Your curtains look like they didnt have that problem.

Sandy said...

You are making my fingers itch to stitch! I have some fabric that I bought and put up to make some curtain panels, pillows, and a throw for our living room and this is giving me the inspiration I need to want to drag them out and start sewing! Thanks!

Antiques In Old Town said...

Dawn what a beautiful room soothing and thoughtful .... makes you want to linger...

Myrna said...

Oh! Those drapes just add the perfect finishing touch to your dining room! I love the look--I'm walking around my home looking for a window to treat with drop cloths!
;-)

Sherry said...

Oh it's all so lovely..and the fabric is amazing...oh goody, I see it's a large dining room so there will be plenty of room for me at the table when I get there!! Hope my room is ready!! lol!! ;)

Unknown said...

Wow wow wow! I love them! So, just wash and wear, huh? I have GOT to try that in my dining room. Simply marvelous, you clever dear!

Elizabeth said...

MOre beautiful pictures of your house. I knew you would be a good home decorator. I could tell from how creative your artwork is!

Hugs,
Elizabeth

Creations from my heart said...

Thank you...Thank you....As soon as I got home I checked your blog and saw you posted the photo of the clotch. It is beautiful along with the draperies! Would You like a Job???Ha ha. Is the base that the clotch sitting on from pampered chef. I need to get one?
Thanks again. Everthing looks wonderful. who would think that drop cloths could look so good. Blessings...

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Great job on the drapes. It really is amazing how drapes warm up a room, isn't it?! I absolutely love your dining table, too...rustic, yet elegant which is exactly what I like!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...thinking it's time for a photo shoot!

Unknown said...

How impressive! It's amazing that you managed to get them the drape so softly, as you did. It's so nice to use what you have to decorate sometimes, isn't it. Fun, fun! I love the sideboard display, also. And the kitty All very pretty.
xoxo,
Tammy

Bambi said...

Dawn~Your drapes turned out wonderful. I must try this! And I like the cones with flowers at the tie-backs. Your room looks so lovely and warm.

Anonymous said...

WOW! These drapes are sooo cool! So tell me, how do you manage to fit 48 hours of work into less than 24, (you have to sleep some time, right?). It amazes me how much some people are able to accomplish in the time they do. Your house is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing. Deb Plapp

Julie said...

Your house is beautiful.

One of the first things I repurposed at least 15 years ago was the lovely lady sheet music you just shared. My parents have it hanging in their house. GMTA!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Dawn:
Thank you for sharing such lovely images. I hope you and yours enjoyed a happy and relaxing Fourth.
xo
Donna


Labels

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...